Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Here Comes The Judge!

So many experiences...coming at me so fast...it's hard to share them all, let alone remember them!

Since I CAN remember yesterday (Miracle!) I will share about my experience judging a food contest:) Our family was invited to a District Cookout down at Granville yesterday for Emancipation day which commemorates the abolishment of slavery for Trinidad/Tobago. We knew there was going to be a food contest among the churches in attendance, what I didn't know was that one of the judges was unable to make it and when I got there I was asked to help judge the food. I can't tell you the amount of anxiety I felt over the responsibility of judging each churches food on presentation, originality, taste and organization! Oh my goodness! I have been here less than a month! I smiled and did my best. Foods on the menu? Goat, duck, chicken, crab dishes...of course Bus Up Shut and Roti, Chana, different sauces and desserts, hot sauces, dumplings etc. The only thing I can say other than I survived and enjoyed most everything I tasted, is that when I compared notes with the other judges, we all agreed on the first place winner! I did have a good-natured gal from one of the churches that didn't win, take my picture and said she was putting it on a "most wanted" poster and displaying it around the Island. I really want to be "making friends" right now!

As I write about this, I think of the scripture "Taste and See that the Lord is Good". May His Word always be a familiar taste, a good taste and always on the tip of my tongue...ready to speak to myself, my family and others!

We had a wonderful time in church this last Sunday with Pastor Vicram Harjaree, celebrating Emancipation Day with them. Everyone was dressed in fancy, bright colors celebrating FREEDOM from Slavery and FREEDOM in Christ! Children waving flags...dancing...singing. FUN! One comment grabbed my attention...as we were told to greet each other, Pastor said, greet each other..."Share Some Sweat" (In other words, HUG!) Sooooo, find a friend today and greet him/her and SHARE SOME SWEAT!

That's it for now...until next time...That's my Take On It!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read more from you and what your doing in Trinidad! We miss and love you!

    ReplyDelete