Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Home Sweet Home!

I've heard it said, "If you don't learn the lesson the first time, sooner or later, you will have to repeat it". 


It has been hard to be unsettled for about a year, living out of suitcases and not having a place to call home. We spout cute sayings like, "Home is where the heart is" and as Christians we want to smile and say that Jesus is all "the home" we need. I wish I could say that it was/is easy to discover "Home" is Jesus, but I can't. I am on a  determined journey to find the "Secret Place" that the Bible talks about, however, I am finding it does not come easy for me and I am convinced it is a lifelong discovery.


I do believe that I am willing to do anything God asks of me, even if it means not having a place to call home, so perhaps I have learned enough of a lesson, for now... 


I also believe that God built into the human heart a longing for "home". We are referred to as "Strangers and Aliens" on this earth, so obviously our ultimate home is heaven, but...I think God understands the need for "home" since He built the need for it into us. 


Having said all that, it is good to have a permanent address and start settling in. My birthday and Mike's birthday were this week, so finding a home is a great birthday present!

It's reassuring to me to know that God "gets me"...even when I don't get myself. He is my place of safety, my refuge, my counselor...my listening ear. He hears the junk, sorts through it and discovers what my heart is really saying. He thinks as much of me on the other side of my sorting through a myriad of emotions as He started out thinking. He sees my frail attempts and reminds me that His strength is made perfect in my weakness.

Home Sweet Home? Yeah...it's found in Jesus...and curled up in a favorite chair with a great cup of coffee in a familiar setting:)

That's it for now...until next time...that's my take on it!

1 comment:

  1. I deeply understand this. Hoping to find a true home soon! I'm moving to Montana in two months. Perhaps I will find it there?
    -McKenzie

    ReplyDelete