Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Words!!

I LOVE words...I love their sound, their meaning and their history. I would love to attain the status of "Word Smith" in my lifetime. Don't know that I will ever attain it...but's it's a goal I aspire to:)

I love how ONE word can mean something different depending on how it is used, where it is used or who is using it! I have new found respect for linguists and those who speak more than one language now that I live outside the U.S. Even though Trinidad is an English speaking country, it is the Queen's English and don't let anyone tell you that Trini's don't have their own way of saying things!

Back to WORDS. I have been thinking about the Lord's provision today. Now...the moment I thought about the word provision guess what popped into my head! In Trinidad, a dish that is prepared often, is called "provision". It is a staple food of "root vegetables" like yams, sweet potatoes, eddoes or dasheen, made into soups or stews or eaten as a side dish. See what I mean! One word can mean so many things...

When considering the Lords provision, we can come up with different meanings also. When we talk about the Lord providing for us, we often think of our basic needs of food, shelter or finances. We must be careful thinking along these lines or we start looking at God like a gum ball machine. Put a quarter in and get something out. Don't get me wrong...I believe God delights in giving us the desires of our hearts, but if all we do is go to Him for "stuff", then we are not in a healthy relationship with our maker. (Have you simply "enjoyed" Jesus lately?)

It might be better to look at God Himself as our Provision rather than our provider. If God is our Provision, then we walk differently.

We walk differently because we then need Him for our very breath instead of the next "handout". We are connected by relationship. In that relationship He provides more than stuff but instead, all that we need to walk this lifes journey. Things like peace, comfort, humility,confidence, wisdom, spiritual authority and the list goes on.

Jesus, you are my provision. You don't just give peace, YOU ARE PEACE. You don't just give comfort, YOU ARE COMFORT. You can not separate what Jesus does from His character. He does not have a bad day and decide not to be PEACE, COMFORT,WISDOM etc. Those are who He is, not simply something He does.

Provision...hope you think about it a bit differently now:)

Until next time...that's my take on it!

Upcoming Events to pray for:
Time at Children's Home this Saturday
Mike is preaching at Barrakpore #4 this Sunday
Team has last service at Marabella this Sunday...we will join for lunch after our service
Lot's of packing and last minute details...pray for a smooth week


No comments:

Post a Comment